Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to hide email addresses on a website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hainley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Hi, not sure if this is the proper place or not...but here's what I have. I am helping to re-develop a website for alumni of a high school I attended overseas. We want to have everyone's email address linked to the user (former student)...HOWEVER, we do not wish to have the email addresses visible/public. For instance...if I wanted to email to John Smith, I would click on his name...BUT I don't want it to show up as jsmith@aol.com or anything like that. Is there anyway to have the email address show up as jsmith@websitename.com and have the website forward it accordingly?

Thanks,
Hainley
PS: Does this post make any sense?

as an addendum, we would like to have a database of names, addresses, phone numbers, etc that is accessed via a search box on the website......any ideas are more than welcomed.

I appreciate the input on this, there is no one being paid for any of this work as we are doing this on a volunteer basis.....so any input/advice/help you can provide is extremely appreciated.

Hainley

The database side of things is easy. It's a simple table or series of tables with a web page that access it.

For the emailing part of it, sendmail can handle that with out a problem. As can Exchange, but Exchange takes a little more work to get setup.

I'd recommend setting up sendmail to handle that. It you are hosting the site through a hosting company, they can probally set this up for you for a small fee of course.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Any server side scripting can handle that easily. What you'd do is give them a form to fill out the email in, and they choose the recipient however they please, then when you go to compose the email you just do a lookup to what that person's actual email is.

Or did I miss the problem?

Okay....we have built an Access database of former alumni.

We want people to do a search on name, city, state, etc....and HIDE the actual email addresses...but we want people to be able to email the alumni WITHOUT divulging their real email address....

Also, how can we build a web page to access the database (search it)?

Thanks,
John

As I stated above, Sendmail on a *nix system can handle this with no problem. It will take the email in that is sent to bob@yourdomain.com and redirect it to bob@aol.com.

Do setup the search page you'll want to make an ASP page. If you need assistance with you, you'll want to post your questions in the ASP forums. You might want to start by using front page to create the web page. Access can also create the web page from within access which you can publish to the web site along with the access database.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Denny...that's what I did...all working now! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back