Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to hide dimension members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imosri

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
MX
Hi (again)

I am trying to figure out how to hide members of a given dimension to the users. We hardcode some members to catch data errors. Now we just want to deny those members to users.

Thank you in advance

imosri

custom security roles. When you create securoty roles/groups you can actually set what they do and don't have access to. Sometimes it might take a bit of MDX to do but it can be done.

CAUTION
implementing custom security on large dimensions can impact server performance based on the way AS handles security. All dimension and dimension definitions are read into memory when AS starts, if custom security is applied to a dimension then when someone who fits that security role attaches to a cube AS then creates a new version of the dimension in question minus the members filtered out. so if you have a large dimension and numerous custom security settings you can very easily start to eat away the servers memory.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Thank you MDXer,

It worked just fine, could you please help me with the following questions.

After successfully creating the roles, I added a user with admin rigths over the Analysis Services box. When the user queries the cube, the result is not filtered by the role. It seems that the Admin cannot be put on a role (yes you can...but), meaning actually that the Admin will not be affected by the role when querying the cube.

Could you please confirm this?

Thank you again

imosri

This is correct. By definition the Admin has access to everything and the admin role overides any other role.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back