Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to hide built-in menu on tool bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xq

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
NL
is there a way of hidding the built-in menu on tool bar when the database is opened? and that menu is hidden for all the user forms. (what i'm trying to do is prevent user to unhide the databasewindos which is hidden, so i want to make menu 'window' in menu bar invisible).
thanks million!!

I generally create my own menu bar with just the items I want the user to be able to perform. Each form can then speicify which menubar should be dispalyed when that form is opened. To specify as custom menubar as the default menubar for all forms, Select TOOLS|STARTUP... via the database menubar. And then specify which menubar is to be your default.

Another way to do what you want is to right click on the menubar, select customize, then drag the items you don't want, off the menubar.

You're right, FancyPrairie, but I got my b*** in a sling when I first did that. I couldn't get to the functions *I* needed when I had to make changes. It seems that the toolbar selection follows the database wherever it goes... and I had forgotten how I made the changes!!

What do you do to prevent the user from accessing certain functions, but allow the developer/help guy to do what's needed? (I found out about holding the Shift key down while starting the database. That helped, but wasn't exactly the ideal solution.)

Any further wisdom?

Rodger Fields
"The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that there is a limit to intelligence."
Rodger Fields
Software Engineer
Pflugerville, Texas (suburb of Austin)

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already done so, is to setup security on your database. This way you can prevent the user from modifying your code. You can also password protect your code (although I haven't had the need to do that). Finally, copy your front-end to a secure location and then convert your front-end to an mde file and distribute the mde file to the users. Note that nobody (including you) will be able to view the code in the mde file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back