Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to have an HTML opened automatically in an e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SitesMasstec

Technical User
Sep 26, 2010
BR
Dear colleagues:

I have a file 'goodnews.htm' which I sent to a friend, as an attachment.

The html file has links to GIF files stored in a website and a link to another website.

When my friend clicks on the e-mail in his Inbox, how to have the HTML attachment to be opened automatically in his browser?

Thank you,
SitesMasstec

User preferences and security settings most often prevent you from having such control over how attachments are handled at the client.

Why don't you send multipart HTML mail, instead of a HTML attachment?

Hello Spamjim!

My e-mails are sent automatically through an application, to many recipients each time.

When I attach a JPG picture in the e-mail, no problem: when the recipient click on the e-mail message the attached picture is displayed automatically in his/her browser. The same does NOT happen with attached HTML file!

May I send multipart HTML (what is it?) attached and opened automatically in the recipient browser?

Thank you,
SitesMasstec

SitesMasstec said:
When I attach a JPG picture in the e-mail, no problem: when the recipient click on the e-mail message the attached picture is displayed automatically in his/her browser. The same does NOT happen with attached HTML file!

That is expected behavior. HTML can contain malicious code (or references to remote malicious code). Therefore, email clients protect the user by blocking most automatic display of HTML, whether attached or embedded in the message. You may still run into some delivery problems with HTML mail, as images may not load until the user permits their display. However, there are fewer obstacles for the recipient when sending HTML mail instead of HTML attachments.

Most mail applications should have the ability to send multipart mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back