Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to handle entry of dates? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnk

MIS
Jun 3, 1999
US
I'm reluctant to use the Masked Edit control because of lack of uniforminty of available events compared with other entry controls.<br>
<br>
Need to accomodate entry of 2 digit years, then display back in 4 digit years, then allow change of 4 digit year. would prefer allowing entry of /s but not require them.

John,<br>
<br>
I'm not, I admit, familiar with the Masked Edit event model but wuold it be possible to wrap in your own control which *would* have the standard events?<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
---<br>
Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com<br>

VB400, I like the Date Picker control a lot. However, I need to intercept keystrokes and know what part of the date they are from.<br>
<br>
Mike, It looks like we may have to create our own control. I had hoped to find someone who had already done the work. Maybe someone will be able to use ours when we build it. The reason we need to intercept the keystrokes is that we trap all Enters and substitute tabs (so that speed entry users don't have to reach for the Tab key or use the mouse.<br>
<br>
Some 3rd party controls look good but we are preparing to market to VARs and don't want to clutter things up with requirements for them to need to buy too much other stuff.

Eh? Why not use the built-in VB functions? You can't sell something that's availible for free. (Now that you bought it.)<br>
<br>
Johnk, don't get hooked on controls. You can't get much help from the current version (the CD is N/A).

Agree with you about 3rd party controls - avoid them like the plague.<br>
-ml<br>

Try something like;<br>
<br>
Private Sub Text1_LostFocus()<br>
Text1 = Format(Text1, "mm/dd/yyyy")<br>
End Sub<br>
<br>
Check for errors with IsDate and others.<br>
<br>
See you on 1/1/0<br>

Simple is good. This is a bad time to introduce complex solutions. Take it from someone who had to "simplify" more than a million lines of code.

Alt255, Thanks for the reminder to keep it simple. I strongly agree. In today's distributed architectures simple (pure) design is required for survival.<br>
<br>
Our issue with entry of dates is to keep it simple, intuitive and efficient for a wide variety of users. Sometimes we choose to trade off complexity in coding for simplicity for users.<br>
<br>
Mike, We also strictly limit our use of 3rd party controls. We used several in VB4 that were not available for VB5. After much frustration with MS Grid we selected the grid from Apex, and have been very pleased. We also use Appointment Scheduling controls from DPI Technologies. In both cases these companies are suppliers to Microsoft.<br>
<br>
Thanks to all for your input.<br>
<br>
John K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back