Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Ghost PC's with OEM XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBennett

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2000
GB
Hi,

I'm getting confused:)
We want to re-image 50+ Dell PC's which have OEM XPpro installed using Ghost Enterprise 7.5.
We don't want to re-activate each one or type product keys which I think we have to do if we build master image using Dell XP recovery CD.

We have XP upgrade media CD (E85-00315) and 5 x XPpro upgrade licences (E85-00425).

If we use the key from these licences in the unattend answer file, will it work?
Or will MS think the 50 PC's are not legal when we try Windows Update etc as the MS Eopen Licencing site says we only have the 5 upgrades licences.?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Regards
David

As scary as Microsoft has gotten on activation and licensing, you may want to go straight to the horses mouth for your answer.

I could be wrong, but based on my experience with the Dell OEM XP CD's, if you use on of those to build your image you will not need to do activation. Doing clean installs with either Dell and Gateway OEM XP Pro cd used with the appropriate computer, has never required me to do activation. The CD's are made to look for the Dell branded bios, same with Gateway. Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Shawn

Hi Prebeck,

I did try MS Licencing - they told me it was legal and that I could use a Volume licencing key. I'm not sure if the key we will get for the XPPro upgrade media / licences is one of these? I'll guess another phone call is called for!

Hi Shawn,

The Dell read-me says that if an OEM PC is reinstalled by booting off a recovery CD, it will NOT require activation. Any other way of installing, including from a network copy of the CD, WILL require activation.

Thanks for feedback.

Regards
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back