Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get XP Home Edition to logon to a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2002
GB
Hi,

Is anybody able to help me or point me in the direction of how to get a windows XP Home edition laptop to logon to our work domain which is using DHCP.

I need to have the user logon via a username and password set in active directory.

Help this is urgent and the backs are to the wall on this one.

regards

Murray

Believe that you will need XP Pro.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Hey,

We tried the same thing and we came to the same conclusion as rdrunner40, that you need Pro to have the possibility to join a domain. I talked this over with a couple of persons around and basically the difference between Pro and Home is the "join domain module"... I would be eternally gratefull if someone could prove me wrong :)

------------------------------------------
A genius walks in silence,
Bet you didn't hear me comming...

Yes but - You'll get granted a DHCP address anyway, so can share 'shared' resources (printer, folders, internet access) and there are workarounds that'll get you close e.g.
So in the end whilst you wont get full functionality, you may be able to make do.
Keep the faith
James

Not to mention the fact that toggling a few registry keys makes XP home become XP Pro.

I'll leave the exercise to the reader.

95% of my experience is with XP Pro. However, XP Home can in fact get an IP address from DHCP and if you set it's workgroup name to the domain name you can browse resources on the domain.

You will need to authenticate with those resources though. And XP Home handles that fairly well. But the username is always DOMAIN_NAME\username and the password is the users password for the share you're trying to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back