Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get SB Live work with Redhat 6.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttest

Programmer
Jun 28, 2000
US
I'm using redhat 6.1 and i don't know how to get sb live to work. i have downloaded the opensource emu10k1 driver but i can't get it compile.

i tried to run sndconfig but this program won't start. the file sndconfig is there and i have even installed the sndconfig package as well.

:-( can anyone tell me how to make the soundcard work? [sig]<p>ttest<br><a href=mailto:thum@starwarsfan.com>thum@starwarsfan.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Are you running &quot;sndconfig&quot; as root, or as a normal user? You should be able to run this as root. Once it's running, if SB Live isn't offered as an option then try using one of the &quot;legacy&quot; Soundblaster settings, and work up from there. ie, start off with plain old SoundBlaster, and move up to the AWE type cards.

If you're still having problems running sndconfig, can you post back any error messages you get, or a description of what happens when you try to run it? Thanks. [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

IF you have just installed RH6.1(in otherwords nothing important on it) I really sugest getting mandrake 7.1, it supports my SBLive! Platinum, and my MS Intelimouse explorer, and is 100% RH compatible. I like it much better. Just a sugestions if you dont manage to get it working in RH [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

To second Karl on this, I find Mandrake to be a much slicker distribution than RedHat. Plus, all the Mandrake RPMs are compiled for Pentium whereas RedHat are still compiled for 386. This gives you the expected performance boost...

If you want to soldier on with sndconfig in RedHat though, post back here and let us know how you are getting on. [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back