Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get rid of this horizontal scrollbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanbeugen

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2005
NL
In the html below (see also I have in IE a horizontal scrollbar and a vertical scrollbar. In the #contentRight div I use the command "overflow: auto" in order to let the text scroll vertically. I want to get rid of the horziontal scrollbar but I don't want to use the command "overflow-x: none" and "overflow-y: auto", because then the vertically scrolling disappears completely on a MAC (OSX). I have tried already in many ways (change the width of the div's) to let the horizontal scrollbar disappear but it doesn't work. Is there an easy way to get rid of this horizontalscrollbar?

This is the HTML:
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe GoLive 4">

<style type="text/css"><!--

.tekst { color: #4c5ea1; font: 11px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: justify; margin-top: 0px; line-height: 16px;}

#contentRight {position:relative; width:490px; top:-10px; right:0px; z-index:100; voice-family: "\"}\""; voice-family:inherit; width:505px; margin-left: 20px;}
/* Again, "be nice to Opera 5". *//*#contentRight {width:450px;}*/

#contentRight p {width:420px; font:12px/16px arial, helvetica, saborder-left-width: 10px; margin: 0px 0px 10px 0; padding-right:0px; padding-left:0px;}

#contentRight img{ border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: #9DEFC7;border-right-style: solid; border-right-color: #9DEFC7; border-left: 15px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: #9DEFC7; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: #9DEFC7; }

#contentRight div { font-size: 11px/16px arial, helvetica, sans-serif; height: 335px; overflow: auto; width: 465px; }

H1 { color: #0C0F7E; font-weight: 400; font-size: 32px; font-family: Arial; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; line-height: 32px; margin-bottom: -5px;margin-left: 0px;}

-->
</style>
</head>

<body bgcolor="white" text="black">
<table border="0" bordercolor="red" width="100%" height="100%" align="center">
<tr height="100%">
<td align="center" height="100%" valign="top">
<table width="680" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr height="435">

<td colspan="3" height="435" width="510" bgcolor="#9DEFC7">

<div id="contentRight"><br>

<div class="tekst">
<p>bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

<br><br>
bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>
bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br>bla bla bla<br>bla<br></p>

</div>
</div>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

</html>

1. What's up with the tables in your code? You have no tabular data.
2. Try removing all the children in the overflowing element until the scrollbar goes away. Usually the problem is one element that is bigger than the container thus causing scrollbars.
3. Consult this page for some additional ideas.

vanbeugen,

Perhaps you can give some closure on this thread:

How to add alternative text and title to image in "var"?
(thread216-1284785)

by letting us know if you resolved your problem or not?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back