Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Get Rid of Comet Cursors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertBC

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Good afternoon! Somewhere in my internet travels I picked up the Comet Cursor spyware -- and I want to get rid of it!
It is not in Add/Remove programs. But it does show up in my WinZip, Ad-ware, Spybot, etc., etc. PCHell.com said if it's not in Add/Remove, go to Comet Cursor's web site and reinstall-- then follow PCHell's steps to uninstall. I hesitate to reinstall. Does anyone know a better way of getting rid of Comet Cursor? Thanks.

I'd follow that advice. It's not visible in Add/remove Programs because of earlier efforts to remove it.
Another option might be to download Hijack This! ( scan your pc, post the log here, and we can see if there are entries to remove there, but....I'd go with the conventional remedy. I can say that I know it works with users I've helped out in the past.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Hello carrr. Many thanks for your advice. I'm pleased to hear the reinstall/uninstall has worked for others. I'll try to come back here and let you know how it all turned out. Thanks again!

You bet. [thumbsup2]

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Good afternoon, carrr. Went to Hijackthis this morning for the scan of our PC. It did a fast job of getting the two-page listing down and logged. I printed it, and I can recognize just about everything that showed up.
After that I went to the CC web site and tried to download it. It just sat there on 0% for about five minutes and I gave up.
So, I'm still stymied. Will try CC again later today. I'll keep you posted on this thread when and if I make some headway. Thanks again.

Hey all,
One thing I like about this site is that I sometimes don't get the right answer...but it makes me sit down and continue to troubleshoot until I fix the problem...I found this site:
This worked and all is hunky-dory again. Pass it on.

Thanks...Doc

Thanks, Doc, for your response to my question of months ago. I will try tomorrow the URL you mentioned and let you know how it turned out. Right now, the Comet Cursor is in my WinZip program -- not in Add/Remove. Will try the Uninstaller mentioned in the link and, if successful, will give them the "removal feedback" on the form they mentioned. Thanks again! Robert 6/8/04 6:55 p.m.

Hello Doc. Went looking for Comet Cursor in WinZip again and tracked down two listings. This time I was able to delete them -- if they are truly deleted! If they pop up again I'll use the URL you listed to get them off my system. Again, thanks for your interest and pointing me/us in the right direction. P.S. Hadn't heard the expression "hunky-dory" in a long time. You know you are giving away your age, don't you? Regards, Robert 6/9/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back