Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get rid of a desktop theme?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

renajb

Technical User
Oct 1, 2001
US
I'm back with yet another problem. I recently downloaded a desktop theme, but now how do I get rid of it? I changed the background, but the icons that went with the old one are still here. I began having trouble with a jerky mouse again and thought this might have something to do with it. Or does anyone have a idea of something else? My mouse won't hardly move (mainly when online) and when I point to something to close it out, it acts like it doesn't respond. Even shutting down the computer has become a very time-consuming task. I went to the start-up menu, and unchecked everything that I safely could. Any ideas? Even posting this is maddening!!!!!

The background is just one element of a "themed" desktop. Sounds, Icons, Animations, Screensavers are other elements that don't go away just by changing the background. All these elements generate extra processing for your PC, and can slow down performance.

Go to Start | Settings |Control Panel | Desktop Themes. Select the "theme" you want or be smart and just use the Windows default.

I went to the start, settings, control panel, but I can't find "themes". My computer has "display" listed & when I go to it, all it has is the "background", "screensaver", etc., but no themes. Under the "apperance" I set it to the default icons, but it doesn't seem to help. The theme I had downloaded was a hot rod theme. Even though I don't have it on the screen anymore, I still have the car icon as the pointer, and a motor reving when I go to the different sites. What am I missing here and where can I go to delete it, because I know I will never use it again?

Sorry, I assumed you had Win95/98. What OS do you have?

Do you have "Desk Top Themes" installed from the OS disk? Go Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/select Windows Setup tab and see if you have the themes installed. If not install from OS CD and then you should be able to change the theme back...also check to see if the theme came with an uninstall program on the Add Remove programs screen...

John

I am using Windows ME. I'll try the Windows setup tab and let you know how that works. Thanks for all the help.

O.K., I just tried unchecking the "themes" in the windows setup tab. It didn't work, I still have a car as my hourglass, and a reving sound every time you change screens. I didn't use a disk to download this theme, it was just something that I saw on the internet and downloaded. You'd think I would have learned by now. Please help me get rid of this and I promise I won't download again. [bigsmile]

recheck the desktop themes, then see if you have desktop themes in the control panel.. or on the start menu js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

If the only remaining signs of this theme are the mouse cursor and the various sounds that Windows makes, you might find it easier to just manually switch them.
I've not used ME before, but unless it's radically different, in the control panel you should have a listing for "mouse". Open it up and across the top should be a tab called "pointers". You can just select the pointer you want from the "Scheme" drop down menu, and even delete the ones you don't want.
As far as the sounds go...Again, unless ME is very different, there should be an icon in Control Panel called something like "Sounds". Go in here and use the "Themes" dropdown to select the sound scheme you want, or if you don't have the dropdown, then just click on and remove all the sounds in the list.

I did that, but in the control panel it still doesn't show themes. When you first go to the control panel, it has all the options like "Date/Time, Internet Options, Printers, Display, Add/remove Programs, etc." When I go to the Display it just shows "background, screensaver, web, appearance, effects." I can't seem to find themes anywhere except when you go to the windows setup tab, and when unchecked it still doesn't get rid of the icon and sound. Can I somehow find where I downloaded it and go and delete it? Will that totally erase it?

You might like to go to The site is full of themes, tips and utilities. Click on medical kit and download Desktop Architect v2.11. I believe you will find this usefull for configuring your themes.

Hope this helps,

zed

Try to see if there is a may to change the setup for the theme desktop. If there is see if there is an about option to see if it lists a website that distributes this desktop theme. They may have instructions on how to uninstall it.

Also go to the remove programs menu in the control panel and see if the theme has a program related to it that can be uninstalled. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back