Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get machine names from IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccountCR

Technical User
Oct 26, 2000
US
On a Novell network, that doesn't have DNS, WINS or NDS, how would you go about getting the machine name of a remote computer given that you have the IP Address? (NBTStat doesn't seem to work.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Impossible unless the target PC has some sort of TSR that waits for certain calls and responds to them via IP.

I would hope your NetWare servers are running NDS???? Be a bit difficult to login without NDS ;)

If you use DHCP, you could look it up in your DHCP database? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Concerning the DHCP database:

Is there a command line that can be ran to return the machine name from the DHCP database?

IF you are running NetWare DHCP, use the DHCP console. It can be installed from SYS:SYSTEM\DNSDHCP -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this will work on your network, but if I run TRACERT from any of my workstations to another workstation it'll put the machine name up by the IP address.

HTH,

Joe Brouillette

Already tried that one. Good suggestion though.
I am afraid that since we don't have NETBIOS installed that we may be out of luck. This needs to be done through a script so loading the DHCP console won't help for this one. Any other suggestions?

You should be able to use the /a switch when you ping the IP address;

ex: ping /a 172.17.0.10

This will return the reply TTL results as well as the host name in the "pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back