Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get intermediate value before the last commit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtomysql

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
MY
Dear All,
I have a list of product which I run a loop and first I do a insert statement. Following that I am going to update fiels called avarageValue,totalStock and stockValue. So for example first I have a line to insert with productID=123 so once inserted I read what is the current totalStock=10 and stockValue=120 and averageValue=12 of productID=123. So say for this new productID=123 totalStock=1 and stockValue=15. So after inserting this line my update of totalStock=11, stockValue=135 and averageValue=12.28 right. The problem is that when comes to my second,third and so on line with productID=123 where I need to read the latest value but I am not able to read and when I read I get totalStock=10 and stockValue=120 and averageValue=12. Just to add on when I run the loop all the values will be in on single commit where I only commit at the end of the loop? So any solution please ?

I'd say,
1. only read once and store the values in variables within the loop (if using a programming language)

2. execute the inserts within the loop

4. use a temp table to insert to, update values in the temp table, then update the real table from those values when you're done.

Mark

Dear Mark,
I am using C#. So that means in my case I need to keep an array is it the keep the temp values ? So in that case I guess I dont need a temp table. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back