Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get History & Cookies of other computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doldol

MIS
Nov 25, 2001
SG
Hi.
anybody knows how to get history & cookies of other computers? We have a very bad user in the office. And he seems like sending adult emails to another user.
I know there is a software which makes possible to view it.

Anybody help?

you can view their cookies by looking in

\\computername\c$\documents and settinsg\username\cookies

is he sending emails internally, like in exchange? do you have a proxy u can get logs from? ===============
Security Forums

There are some good shareware programs that can monitor and record all usage on that computer, to include screenshots. Normally i am not for "spyware", but in this case, gett 'em out!!
try
Good luck
Dave

thank you all.

dpresley, he is using internet(yahoo) account to send adult emails. you mean, also can monitor this kind of activities?

tnx. let me try it and report!

if the user isnt so savy u could install VNC on his computer and watch what he does heh

"VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures."

===============
Security Forums

If you are working in a larger company you should definitely check the laws before you do that! If you really want to get him out, you won't success in most western countrys by using spyware without telling your users.

There are some tricks how to legalize it.

Is that a problem or would you boss fire him just cause of a screenshot?

browolf (Programmer) Feb 11, 2003
if the user isnt so savy u could install VNC on his computer and watch what he does heh

"VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures."

You can also use the version that doesn't show the icon down in the system tray so the user doens't know when you're connected found here:

MFuhge (MIS) Feb 11, 2003
If you are working in a larger company you should definitely check the laws before you do that

Last time I checked, CT was the only state that had a law REQUIRING companies to notify its user base of monitorization of computers in the workplace. While most companies do it, there is no law requiring you to do so in 49 of the 50 states. Perhaps someone with some legal expertise in this area may be able to shed further light on this subject?

i downloaded vnc and it required me to type server name.
i typed the client pc name, but it didn't work.

still want to know who the culprit is.

you have to install the sever on the person's pc you want to view.

1st run it on your own pc and give it a password.

then copy the 3 files to their winnt\system32 directory

then export the orl key in hkcu\software
and import it on their computer.

you also need to make a run key to make it autorun.

===============
Security Forums

Or just get Dameware mini remote control. You can push a service to the target system then view or control the system remotely.

sorry, haven't visited for a long time.

"While most companies do it, there is no law requiring you to do so in 49 of the 50 states"
yep, I said Countrys :). In Germany for example you will be the one who is fired after giving the information to your boss. In Europe it's not that easy. But I don't know about America, you know much better I think :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back