Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to get forms on web

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a couple of 9i databases that users currently access through 6i forms running on 9ias. Our users up until now have been in-house and 9ias is running only on our intranet. We have a Web Server though and I provide some data/reports throught the internet using ASP/HTML etc. But, now Ive been asked to provide a way for us to collect data from the internet. Specifically, they want me to come up with a way to accept job applications and other info from applicants through our web server. The applications are several pages long and collect lots of data. If there were only one or two pieces of information I'd do an ASP page, but this project needs something "bigger" I think. Can anybody give me any specifics about how i can get from where I am to where I gotta go...??

any suggestions/comments would be appreciated..

U can use htp scripts. These are scripts that are generated in an oracle DB. An example of a line of code would be htp.print('HTML');
U can write html, javascript, any script u need for the web but it is based on a procedure so it easy to load all data entered using ordinary sql.
U need to set up a DAD(Database Access Descriptor). but you already have web server running reports etc from an oracle DB it should not be too difficult to get going.

Hope this helps
Daniel

The DAD is part of the 9ias server right? Ill have to look up the htp scripts, Ive never run into that..

The web server that is connected to the internet doesnt have the oracle components installed. Well, other than the basic client files necessary to do odbc connections etc...

The DAD is part of 9ias. I'm do not know everything about th nitty gritty bits of this. I had an DBA to do most but as far as I can remember we were using Apache on the webserver. Also, I think we had something like Oracle HTTP server. But apart from that everything else was on DB server. Check with Oracle. I'm sure it's not difficult to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back