Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get footer to appear at bottom of page on all pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodS2

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2007
US
I have a web firm developing a website and for some reason they cannot get it so that the footer automatically is positioned at the bottom of the users screen. So if there is less white space, the webpage should not scroll, and the footer should appear flush to the bottom of the screen. One some of the pages, the footer is at the bottom, but there is a tiny black space underneath it. My background color is black so I'm figuring this is what it is. I just want my site to function like every other site where the footer appears correctly without adjusting itself. Right now when I go to a page, the footer adjusts itself so I as the visitor see all this movement of the footer and I they can't seem to fix the problem. Can anyone take a look at the below URLs and possibly have a look as to what they might be doing incorrectly? I use the Goldman Sachs website as a great example as to how the footer appears at the correct location regardless of how little content the page has, and the position of the footer is in the correct location as soon as you come that particular page (you do not see the footer jumping down to get in the correct location, it just is in the right location) I've included an example of how I would like my site to look as well.

sachs example (how I would like my site to work):

my site links that have the footer issue:

Probably the best thing you can ask them to do is to give you the same thing but without using JavaScript. Right now, your site looks good, but if you disable JavaScript it looks quite bad.

This is especially noticeable if you have a wide browser window, as they appear to be using JS to centre the site which causes the navigation sits out to the right, and the content to be obscured to the left without JS.

What is this company thinking? At very least they could get it looking good without the need for JavaScript - it's just not that hard to do!

Personally, unless you gave them the brief that you wanted it to look bad without JS enabled, I'd ask them to re-write it without the need for JS - for either the centring or the fixed footer.

I'd suggest they search on Google for some CSS fixed footer code if they are unable to write it themselves. Then again, if they are unable to centre a website without JavaScript, I don't hold out much hope of them being able to manage even this basic task, so here are some links you can spoon-feed them with:

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Looking at Goldman Sachs website, it seems they're using the same technique. The page looks great with JS, but breaks completely without it. Again, centering is done via javascript. Maybe you should tell your company not to copy the design of Goldman Sachs, but to recreate the same effect without the use of JS. It can be done and if they're a good company, they will be able to do it.

As for the question of why does it not jump at Goldman Sachs but does in your site ... I guess they implemented the script that repositions things better than your team.

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Doesn't jump for me or display black. But then I'm using IE6.

Is that what they told you? That 'a lot of of sites use JS to centre themselves'?

I think that's a massive excuse, because it's easier to do it without that it is with! Perhaps they just don't know how to do it without using JS.

Out of interest, what company is building this site for you?

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

BillyRayPreachersSon said:
Out of interest, what company is building this site for you?
Looks like Sakshi Infoway to me.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

And for me (using IE6) the Goldman Sachs footer does not appear at the bottom of the page in full screen.

(And it attempts to be XHTML strict, but does not follow XHTML requirements very well.)

You get what you pay for.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back