Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get a "planned % complete" based on number of days in a task

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpierce123

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2015
US
Hello:
I a trying to figure out a way(best way) to determine a "planned % complete" simply based on the number of days in a task.

For example:
Task Start Date = 3/1/15
Task Finish Date = 3/20/15
So the task is 20 days long

Today is 3/10/15 so "planned % complete" should be 50%

(Today-Start) / (Finish-Start)
=
((3/10/15)-(3/1/15)) / ((3/20/15)-(3/1/15))
=
(10) / (20)
=
50%

Do I just enter this into a custom field as a formula or is there a better way of doing this?

Also, when I tried to do this with a formula, it did not apply to the roll up tasks. So, the bolded tasks were blank.

I am trying to get to a calculated number of the % I should be completed based on the current date and length of the task. I realize this might not be the best way so any
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would like to be able to look at my project and see that I am 35% complete, but I should be 50%.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I am using MS Project 2010.

Thanks
kp

Your method seems fine for Fixed Duration tasks. A better method involves using the concept of "Earned Value", which is too complicated to get into here, but you can search Earned Value Microsoft Project and get numerous hits.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back