Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get a Help file running from the Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryAttrick

Technical User
May 14, 2005
NZ
With assistance from subscribers to this forum, plus researching various web sites, I’ve designed an application that does what I want (well 98% of what I want!). Now I’m trying to add a help menu with zero success. I run a free version of Delphi6.

The Delphi User Guide I have is little use and I have become more confused than when I started: I’m seriously thinking of simply writing some instructions in a .txt file and bundling it with the .exe file in a small zipped package. But before I go that far is there a simple way of incorporating a rudimentary helpfile?

I already have a menu with Help > > Contents, Search for Help on..., How to use Help, About… The latter AboutBox item works fine, as do other sections of the Menu bar like ‘Settings’ and so on.

An old Borland Delphi publication bundled with the D6 software called “Quick Start” mentions using existing Help and Contents files by renaming them but I cannot get this to work. Neither can I find the ‘Action Manager’ referred to there. The closest I can find is Project/Options/Application tab/Browse button where I can see the .hlp file but cannot make the .cnt file enter there.

I should now be obvious I’m a raw beginner klutz - perhaps beyond help! I find the eventual results from Delphi satisfying but the complexities of the task exceedingly time-consuming, daunting and often confusing.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Not to kill your enthusiasm for Delphi, but the "free" version is stripped from a lot of things.
Get at least a hold of a Pro version.

Regards

Steven

Check out this link:

These threads may also be of use to you:
thread102-831847
thread102-854470

Hope these help!

Clive [infinity]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
Paul Ehrlich
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Agree with Clive that's a good Link. EC also do a free component suite that enables you to integrate modern HTML help files (*.chm) into Delphi projects, and they do a help creation program called Help and Manual that I can recommend.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back