Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get a count by month

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmy2Js

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2010
US
I have a list of id's that I derived by creating a temp table. From that list I need to get a count by region for each month from Jan. 2009 - Dec. 2010. I am struggling getting this to work? Here is the start of my code:

Create table totalemp# (empid int,geo nvarchar(50))

EXECUTE adm_Supplimental

Insert into totalemp# (empid, geo)

(
Select
a.sapid,
'Geo' = bs.geo
from

employeeall a
LEFT OUTER JOIN cvt_CoCodetoBusSite bs ON bs.companycode = CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[Company Code]))

Where
a.sapid > 500000
and
CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[Emp Group Name])) <> 'External'
and
CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[DS Term Date])) between '20090101' and '20101231'
)

I get the list I need, now I need to take that list and get a count by month where the startdate < "the end of each month" example: 01-01-2009.

Here is how I start out, but how can I carry this all the way across and it now blow up?

Create table totalemp# (empid int,geo nvarchar(50))

EXECUTE adm_Supplimental

Insert into totalemp# (empid, geo)

(

Select
a.sapid,
'Geo' = bs.geo
--'Country Name' = ISNULL(CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[country name])),'')
from

employeeall a
LEFT OUTER JOIN cvt_CoCodetoBusSite bs ON bs.companycode = CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[Company Code]))

Where
a.sapid > 500000
and
CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[Emp Group Name])) <> 'External'
and
(CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[DS Term Date])) > '20090101' or CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(a.[DS Term Date])) IS NULL)
)

Select count(sapid) as JanCount, geo

From
totalemp# t
inner join employeeall e on e.sapid = t.empid
where CONVERT(nvarchar, DecryptByKey(e.[DS Last Hire Date])) <= '20090131'

Group by geo

Drop table totalemp#

Quick unrelated suggestion - always specify size for nvarchar in the CONVERT (and other situations). By default it's 30 characters, but it's much better to always be explicit.

PluralSight Learning Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back