Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to forward all mail to existing smtp server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnull

MIS
Oct 30, 2003
US
I am running Solaris 10 (sparc). All I want to do is to forward all outgoing mail to an existing enterprise SMTP server. I have been searching and I cannot figure out what steps I need to take to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
cnull

Assuming you are running sendmail, you need to specify the SMARTHOST directive (and the address of your mail server) in your sendmail.mc then use that to rebuild your sendmail.ca

When I went to make the change that you reccomended I found that the SMARTHOST already pointed to a variable of mailhost. I noticed that the mailhost was already in the /etc/hosts file so I modified it to point to the SMTP server. It worked.

Now my only other question is this:
Should I (or do I need to) block incoming SMTP so that my host does not become a relay for internal spam, DOS attacks etc...? If so what is the best method to do this?

Thanks,
cnull

hmmmm...

By default, relaying should be disabled.

If you can verify that the only uncommented DAEMON_OPTIONS directive looks something like this:

Code:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

and that it has been processed into the .cf file, you're done. Sendmail will be bound only to the loopback port and you won't be able to accept any mail that could be relay-ed out. That is about the sanest practice I have seen. Do you need to do this? No. Should you deny inbound SMTP connections to most hosts in your org? Better believe it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back