Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to format XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh2o

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
US
Ok, so i have Windows XP Pro installed, on my computer. I upgraded from ME, but it's causing a ton of problems. I have the XP Pro Full Install CD as well, so i want to format my C drive, and install a fresh copy of XP Pro. How do i do this? Basically i want to reformat my hardrive, but i heard something about having to worry about "FAT" once you reformat. What is this, and how do i format? Thanks in advance.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have two copies of the XP CD, an upgrade version and a full version.

If you install your full version on the same machine that currently has the upgrade version on it, you will have two versions of XP tied to that one machine in an Activation sense.

This may cause you problems with Microsoft if you try to install either version on another machine.

However, if you use the upgrade version to do a clean install with, it will perform the task, but will want you to slip in a qualifying product (ME CD) during the install. This will then not tie down your full version to the same machine.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back