Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to format a harddrive over 2g 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jermocide

MIS
May 22, 2000
US
Visit site
I want to install Win98 on a 4 gig harddrive.&nbsp;&nbsp;But when I use fdisk to to format the drive it will only let me create a 2 gig partition.&nbsp;&nbsp;I want the entire drive space to be used as my c: partition.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I try to use a floppy with a newer version of fdisk it comes up with incorrect msdos version error.&nbsp;&nbsp;What can I do?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thank you.<br>

what opperating system is fdisk currently on?, you could just delete the partition, then try to get win98 to create you a large 4 gig one, or you could use the Fdisk off the Win98 CD, and not the one off , say perhaps you are using Win95a. and when you run the newer fdisk off that Diskette, make sure you boot off that diskette too. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Did you tell fdisk to enable large disk support before you created the partition?? <p> <br><a href=mailto: pcheather@home.net> pcheather@home.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thank you.<br>The harddrive is brand new so it has no OS on it yet.When I use fdisk off the win 98 cd it will say incorrect msdos version.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I find an fdisk that does work it will not ask me if I want to enable large disk support.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>I ended up just installing to a 2 gig fat partition and than used partition magic to create a new partition out of the free space, than converted both partitions to fat 32 and joined them together into one c drive.<br>I'm still interested in an easier way.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Thanks for the help.

jermocide,<br><br>The boot disk from Win95b-c and Win98x will include a copy of FDISK that can enable large disk support (FAT32). If it does not ask the question, then it has already detected a FAT16 partition on the drive. When in doubt choose the &quot;Display Partition Info&quot; option. If any partitions exist, delete them (make sure you don't need anything off of it of course).

If you use Fdisk from the Win98 CD you need to boot from the Win98 CD or a startup dosk supplied with the Win98 CD.<br><br>No matter how you do it, Fdisk is matched to it's DOS version.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can't boot from one versino and use Fdisk from another. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Haven't tried it recently enough to remember but think you boot off a floppy, delete all partitions, then run setup off the cd-rom. If I recall correctly I found that 6gb was the largest it would format, 4gb on NT, but both of these were on HP equipment and the 95 was B or C. And those observations may not hold true on anything else. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Why don't you just use Partition Magic to format and partition your drives all the time?&nbsp;&nbsp;I use it 99% of the time and avoid all of the f-disk inconsistencies. <p>xtreme1<br><a href=mailto:rbio@excite.com>rbio@excite.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

1-have start up 98 disk<br>2-remove the partiction by fdisk<br>3-do what you want just answer yes to the first question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back