Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to flatten file? It's too big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisie2007

Technical User
Apr 12, 2007
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to flatten a file

I saved a drawing to PDF for document distribution, but it's sitting at 2.52 megabytes.

What I'd like to do really is save it in PDF for the web, but that format really messes with the text, moving it all over the place and changign the font, I don't know why.

Would anyone have any ideas as how to either make the file smaller, or make a pdf for the web without messing up my fonts and placement on the page?

Thanks,
Maisie

Use a third party PDF creator. I have used CutePDF with good results, and Brushman recomends PrimoPDF which I tried and works pretty well too.

When using the PDF creator you can click on the "Settings" button and see what settings each of Corel's presets such as "PDF for the web" actually generate. Then you can tune the settings yourself to try for a better file size while retaining acceptable legibility.

If a third party PDF creator creates smaller files, it probably does so by using tighter settings and I suspect in most cases you could get exactly the same results by putting similar settings into Corel's own PDF creator.

However, your mention of "messing with the text" suggests you were perhaps using the "publish to the web" function. That's a rather different kettle of fish, because it tries to create HTML pages and HTML is not really intended for accurate representation of printed documents so a lot of compromises have to be made. For your purpose, definitely stick with "publish to PDF" and take the "PDF for the web" preset as your start point, then try to tighten the settings eg compatibility to Acrobat 5, increase jpeg compression, reduce fountain steps if you've used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back