Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Fix Stop Error 0x0000007b 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexgirl

Vendor
Aug 2, 2003
GB
My laptop will not go past the black and white screen that says log in normally or in safe mode etc.
Is comes up with Error 0x0000007b (or in full 0x0000007b OXF7A8E63C OXC0000034.
How do I fix this please? Is there any software I can download to fix the problem.
Any help/advice would be most welcome.
Thank you
Julie

First download the hard drive diagnostic tool from the hard drive manufactures website, If the hdd model begins with WD it's western digital, if ST it's a seagate, ore just google the model number of the drive. If nothing has been done, like load different drivers, or changes made to the bios, reseat the drive, and try to boot, if fail, and it passes the diags, you will need to reload the software as something is corrupt. If it fails diags, and is under warranty, contact the laptop manufacturer for replacement, if it is out of warranty, purchase a new drive, and reload from the backup disks you should have made after setting up the laptop.

Lots of times, booting to a bootable CD (BartPE, etc.) and running a CHKDSK /F will fix the problem. However it won't fix it if the hard drive is going bad, so follow rclarke250's advice and make sure the hard drive is not dieing. IF it's okay, you need to do a CHKDSK from outside the operating system to clean things up. Run multiple times until no errors found.

Those would be the first two steps. Report back.

Where do I get the hard drive WD or ST info from please?

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Seagate SeaTools

Test the drive as instructed, basically you can use the SeaTools from Seagate to test almost any other drive as well, if the HDD displays any failure, replace drive...

Having said the above, the error code you provide usually appears, when someone changed the way the SATA ports operate, e.g. from Legacy (IDE) Mode to AHCI mode, as the installed loader (which gets it's driver from the OS) does not know how to access said drive, since the AHCI driver is missing...
changing the way the SATA controller accesses the drive (back to Legacy/IDE) in the BIOS should remedy the situation...

if you do not know how, then please post more info as to the mainboard that is in your PC, so that one of us can DL the manual and point you in the correct direction...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

BadBigBen you are amazing. Really amazing. I did the BIOS back to Legacy and hey presto it is back and working. I cannot thank you enough. Julie

BadBigBen's advice on changing Legacy/IDE was brilliant thank you. Now I can at least get into Windows XP. But still have a problem as it comes up as user1 and asks for the password. This has never come up before and although I have put in all my old passwords nothing works and I cannot get beyond this screen so have to shut down. Is there any way I can get to put in something that will get m e past this password stage and into XP please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back