Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to FIX: "Error 5: no hostname exists for this connection entry."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2011
US
thread463-1450535

Referencing above thread in which a user of Cisco VPN client tries to connect, but gets the error statement "Error 5: no hostname exists for this connection entry." The VPN client has lost Host address (or IP), the group name, and the group password (and confirmation) making connection impossible.

HOW TO FIX:
The problem is your computer's .pcf file has been corrupted, you need to restore it. (Usually happens because your system loses connection or crashes while connected with the client)
***Windows 7***
1. Go to: C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles
2. Right click on your .pcf file
3. Click "Restore previous versions"
4. Choose a date before you began having problems and restore the file (making sure to delete the current one)

***previous operating systems***
-since you won't be able to restore the file in this manner, either restore your computer to a previous date using system restor, OR:
1. Go to the same location on a co-worker's computer
2. Copy the file to your computer in the same location, delete your old file

This should fix the problem, hope this helps and if there are any other problems let me know!

When I setup a pc/laptop to use the cisco vpn I always place a copy of the .pcf file in the profile directory. The user can then be talk through using the copy to replace the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back