Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find which FA to connect a new client ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptl

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
US
Hi,
Is there a one utility can tell me how much bottleneck is at each FA or the history of IO ?
What is the rule of thumb to connect client to a particular FA.

Thanks for help.
V

Use EMC Control Center with WorkLoad Analyzer. Do you have it? If not, speak with your provider in order to get some stats in peak hours regarding to the FAs. If you have access to the service processor, issue command:

A2,BA

That command will give you the I/Os stats for SCSI/FC Directors

The rule of thumb? load balance.

You need also to take into consideration the fan in ratio. Usually it is 12:1 on symmetrix systems but check the intropability matrices on powerlink. You can use the following command if you have solutions enabler
"./symmask -sid xxx list logins | more" Only count the devices that are logined in and on the fabric.

We purchased two 16-port Silkworm 2800 Fibre Channel switches to replace the two existing 8-port brocade switches in our FC4700. Can anyone point me to some documentation that outlines the steps to install the new switches? I have heard that some type of migration or zoning is necessary.

Hi Terry,
you should be able to ISL the switches together. If the fabric merges the zoning information you currently have on the 8 port brocade switcheswill show up on the 2800. There are a few gotchas with merging zones and you need to be careful. If you have a powerlink logon for emc's website you can get all the documentation for installing and settingup a brocade.
all tjhe best,
Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back