Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find the sqldataroot in the Registry for default and Instances

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonname

Programmer
May 18, 2001
US
I am using Installshield to install a database. I'm trying get the path for the sqldataroot. I would like this to work for SQL Server 2000 & 2005 as well as for instance names, but I know that the registry settings are different based on versions. How do you go about getting to this information in a common way? Thanks

By using the extended stored procedure xp_instance_regread to query the registry and get the information.
Code stolen from Microsoft via SQL Profiler
Code:
declare @SmoDefaultFile nvarchar(512)
exec master.dbo.xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultData', @SmoDefaultFile OUTPUT

declare @SmoDefaultLog nvarchar(512)
exec master.dbo.xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultLog', @SmoDefaultLog OUTPUT
select @SmoDefaultFile, @SmoDefaultLog

If the values are null then query the master.dbo.sysfiles table and use the folder that the master databases files are in.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back