Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to find out what services is using my Com1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse72

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
I have a Win2003 server install with SP1 running Lotus Domino 5.0.8

There is a serial modem connected to COM 1 of the server for user to dial-in to retrieve mail.

Normally, when the server just boot up, the modem will be working fine. However, after awhile, can be 1 hour, can be a few days, suddenly, the modem will not pick up call anymore when user dial in. Moving the modem to another systems everything just work fine. Moving another modem to connect to this server will yield the same result - modem ring but not answer. To solved the problem? Just have to shut down the server and disconnect the power source to the server. Then you startup the server - viola - It works again, for awhile, before it dead again.

Further check in Lotus Domino Log file, when the modem is not picking up call, it state: COM1: Device or unit number already in use.

And, when the modem is working properly, in Phone & Modem 9Control Panel), I can see the modem. Click on the properties will return me with some result. I had try to delete the modem. And click on Add to add the modem, Win2003 can detect the modem and install the driver automatically.

However, when the modem is not picking up call, I can still see the modem in Phone & Modem. But clicking on Properties will give me an error. Removing the modem in the list and try to add the modem again, Win2003 will state no modem found.

All of the above problem can be "solved" by shut down the server and remove the power source to the server. Then restarting it, everything will be working fine for awhile.

Is anyone here having the same problem? Can anyone tell me how to find out/check what services or device is using COM 1?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Background info:

I had checked in BIOS. COM 1 is enable. EMS is via COM Port is disable.

Previously, this Domino server is running on a Win2000 Server. Everything just work fine. Then I get a new Server, install with Win2003 SP1, I just move the Notes & Notes Data folder to the new server and everything just work fine, at first.

on the sysinternals website there is a tool for observing what happens with your com port.

it could help you, but i've not used it much so i cant help you with the tool.
maybe worth a try?

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back