Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to find out passwords for accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have three accounts on the server running RH 7.0, sendmail, and apache. Since I didn't set up sendmail, I do not know what the passwords are. The Webmaster previous to me did not document this information. Is there any way of finding out or maybe resetting the passwords?

Thanks

I don't know, if you mean that but you can change passwords with the command 'passwd'
you login as root and type in:
passwd [username]
and then you are asked for the new passwords

I will try this, but is it possible to just view the password. I mean if worse comes to worse, I'll just change the passwords and send out a memo to the end users. The situation is that one of the machines is asking for the password to get to the mail, eventhough it lets you in without put in the password, since we don't know it. This never happened before. Maybe this is an outlook question but I figured I ask how to view email passwords in sendmail for my own future reference.

Also, is sendmail available for windows or is it just a linux service software?

Look in /etc/passwd (or on BSD, /etc/master.passwd).

Look for the username in question. Information on each line is seperated by a colon. One entry should be a string of gibberish. That's the encrypted password.

Run a search for jack the ripper (?) I think that's the name of it. It's a unix password cracker. Pop in the encrypted password, and it *should* pop back the decrypted one. YMMV.

john the ripper ... i just got it, tried it, and had to mail 15 of our users to say it took 2 minutes MAXIMUM to find their passwords ...

sheesh ... some users hey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back