Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to fax over a local network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
Hello out there. Does any one know the easiest way to fax over a local network using an all in one printer? I was told by HP teks that I have to have a print server(jetdirect). Is this true or are they just tring to get me to buy more stuff? I appreciate the help.

Unless HP provides Fax software that supports network faxing with this machine, you won't be able to use it as a fax machine in any fashion. Windows XP Fax is a single user, stand alone application; it can only act as a network fax client when used with the Shared Fax Service provided by Small Business Server and Windows 2003 Server.

HP provides software with the printer in most cases. How is the printer (all-in-one) connected to the network?

The all in one will be connected either through a computer to the network, or if I get an all in one with an internal print sever, they come with an ethernet interface so I would connect it directly to a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back