Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Export tapes correctly from a Tape Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaJuHe

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
FI
We use BrightStor ArcServe Backup for Windows 9.01

What is the correct way to Export tapes from Tape Library?

This is how we do it currently:

1) we start by doing an Export as follows:
ArcServe/Device/choose tape/ImportExport/select mail slot/select tape slot/Export -> no problems
2) and continue by doing:
Inventory/Regular Inventory/choose all slots -> no problems

However when the very next backup is about to start,it has now every time got stuck whilst beginning the backup process, getting stuck in the "Connect to Media..." stage right in the beginning, by getting stuck i mean a hanging process which takes up to hours and needs to be stopped in the end; then again after the stop and once again Inventory/Regular Inventory/choose all slots seems to resolve the problem usually and the backup process can be restarted and the backup starts immediately without any problems.

I must be doing something completely wrong, please any help would be much appreciated.

After the export command your 2nd step is to run a complete inventory. Can you tell me why you do that ?
Also what tape hardware do you use ??

regards

I always thought that Inventory (Regular) needs to be run after an Export (to me same applies to eg.Erase) ie. that it was the way to "tell" the library that the tape has been removed (or erased) from the library; but as i said earlier,i could be completely wrong assuming this.

The main questions are:
-what exatly needs to be done prior to an Export
-what exatly needs to be done after to an Export

We use ADIC Scalar 100 LTO-2 tape library.

My guess is there is something else going on. Make sure the tape drives and library are disabled in the OS Device Manager. For details see the faq Which Driver Should I Use under the ARCserve forum.

Does the library inventory finish OK? The reason I ask is that I avoid inventorying the entire library because it just doesn't work properly. I have a twenty slot StorageTek L40 with BrightStor Release 11 and its doesn't like mounting the entire library. My tapes are barcoded and when I need to load tapes I load them two at a time through the CAP ports. Trying to inventory multiple slots tends to lead to slots left as "Updating". If the library hasn't inventoried properly the job will wait as Connect to Media just as you have reported.

Only inventory the slot you need to is what I'd say.

In most cases, you should not need to nventory every slot. Do an online inventory of the slot that you want to update. Barcoded tapes are aso the best way to go since you can set the tape library to run a quick initialization using DB information instead of awaiting a complete header read of the tape through Device Config.Your inventory should take no time at all. Are you doing a regular cleaning of the drives? There may be some hardware issues that are being masked as software issues. Be sure that up to date firmware and drivers are employed of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back