Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to export 4 page to 11x17 layout showing and crop marks? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikky0000

Technical User
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, using INCS4 on win xp.

My printer needs my 4 page 8.5x11 formatted to 11x17 showing crop marks. I also have Adobe Acrobat 9, so if I go to file->adobe PDF presets, I can get to "marks and bleed" and specify what to show. But this window won't let me pick page size or any other window.

I can go to file->create booklet but it doesn't give me option to see bleeds and crop marks. Also, in booklet, I cannot control compression.

Thanks
Nikky

option 1
...to export to pdf as a spread, you need to select the option "spreads" in the PDF general options, under "pages" section...

...you also need to ensure your document layout in the pages palette is set so that the pages are side by side (facing pages)...

..you need to have the back page left of the front page, followed by the two inner pages, this is known as reader spreads...

...so depending on what mode you indesign document is you need to move the pages around to get the right order (turn "allow document pages to shuffle" off in the pages palette flyout menu)...

option 2
...with the inbooklet option you need to setup a print preset first (file > print presets > define > then select "new")...

...here you either select to make a postcript file and then use distiller to make the pdf or you select the adobe pdf printer driver to send the postcript to that driver so the pdf is made on-the-fly, this is the way i would do it...

here are screenshots for the print preset options:

...and within inbooklet you will be able to select your print preset as here in the following screenshots:

andrew

...also to add to my above post...

...when printing on-the-fly to pdf using the adobe pdf printer driver, you also need to ensure you have the correct distiller settings enabled in the Adobe PDF printer driver...

...the distiller settings are what control compression etc...

...on windows i believe you can set this in the printers control panel and selecting properties of the adobe pdf printer driver...

...i'm a mac user however, so i imagine windows is similar in that you can select the correct distilller settings via the "printer" option in the print setup dialog, as in this screen shot:

andrew

...so with the above in mind, it is probably more convenient to get indesign pages in the right order and export to pdf as spreads...

...the inbooklet option requires more forethought and settings to get the PDF, in that you need to either print to postscript file to your hard drive and then use distiller to create the PDF...

...or go direct through the PDF printer driver with correct compression/distiller settings applied...

andrew

...also note the inbooklet option doesn't require you to manually move the pages around in the pages palette, as the inbooklet plugin automatically arranges pages depending on the "booklet type" you choose in the inbooklet settings...

...so after all that the question is why does this have to be so damn complicated?

: )

andrew

...one other point i need to add is that the built-in PDF export from indesign automatically adjusts the PDF page size to fit the crops and bleeds, this is why there are no page size settings to choose from, as the PDF page size is defined by your document size + any marks you add in the PDF settings...

andrew

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Thank you Andrew. That solved much of the mystery.

I also learned that I can shuffle pages by turning off the "do not shuffle" .......... that was very useful.

I tried both ways and both work.

thank you so much for taking the time to show and screen capture pics. Much appreciated.

Nikky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back