Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to expande drive space on primary partition. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ato

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have win2k server with mirror, basic disk configuration. my C: drive are runing out of space and plenty space on E: drive. I would like to expand some drive space on c:. Any suggest how to precieve this problem. Help are very apreciate. thanks

You need a product such as Volume Manager by Power Quest. Get ready to spend some $$ - it's around $400 or so. Some of the less expensive partition redo products will not work with WIN2K server, only on clients. Your drives must still be formatted as "basic drives" for this to work. Volume Manager will not work if your drives have been updated to "dynamic drives". Check this through the Disk management folder under My computer/Manage. With Volume Manager you will have to move the "free" space on "E" to "D" drive first - free space to expand your "C" drive must be "next to the "C" drive. Volume Manager will then set the free space to "unused" - then it can be used by drive "C" to expand that partition. Volume Manager works very well, is easy to use, and saves lots of time, but is costly. Good Luck!!

The above post is great advice! To make a point clear you cannot expand the System or Boot partitions! We had the same issue and had to basically put in a new Server.
Good Luck

One other option, System commander...
I was looking at purchasing Volume Manager as every other product "wouldn't work" on 2000 Server.
System commander installed no problem, and windows sbs didn't seem to mind at all. (have no dynamic disks however)
Hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice, I will check out Volume Manager and will let you know how it progress.

Or try Bootit NG from TeraByte unlimited ( It is for multi-booting but also resizes partitions. I have used it to increase the size of the C: drive of a Windows 2000 server. Best part is that is only $30. NB It does not handle dynamic disks. You can download a 30-day demo from their site. Of course, make sure you have a good backup before installing this product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back