Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enter Compaq bios setup ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

drtom

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
CA
I am working on this dog of a Compaq Evo 400c laptop and cannot enter the bios becasue of the setup password. The owner didn't set a password and I have removed the RTC Battery for about 30 minutes and it still askes for the bleeping password.
Regardless of the key combination I enter it won't let me in.
Sincerely,
Stumped by a Compaq

p.s. any insight would be appreciated

see:

Also found this on a website...
Standard BIOS backdoor passwords

The first, less invasive, attempt to bypass a BIOS password is to try on of these standard manufacturer's backdoor passwords:

AWARD BIOS
AWARD SW, AWARD_SW, Award SW, AWARD PW, _award, awkward, J64, j256, j262, j332, j322, 01322222, 589589, 589721, 595595, 598598, HLT, SER, SKY_FOX, aLLy, aLLY, Condo, CONCAT, TTPTHA, aPAf, HLT, KDD, ZBAAACA, ZAAADA, ZJAAADC, djonet, %øåñòü ïpîáåëîâ%, %äåâÿòü ïpîáåëîâ%

AMI BIOS
AMI, A.M.I., AMI SW, AMI_SW, BIOS, PASSWORD, HEWITT RAND, Oder

Other passwords you may try (for AMI/AWARD or other BIOSes)
LKWPETER, lkwpeter, BIOSTAR, biostar, BIOSSTAR, biosstar, ALFAROME, Syxz, Wodj

Note that the key associated to "_" in the US keyboard corresponds to "?" in some European keyboards (such as Italian and German ones), so -- for example -- you should type AWARD?SW when using those keyboards. Also remember that passwords are Case Sensitive. The last two passwords in the AWARD BIOS list are in Russian.

But with a laptop, though you may be out of luck...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

The machine won't accept anything I type with the exception of the enter key. After three enters the machine won't do anything, I have to restart it...

I think your tag line is the answer... Never had this sort of trouble with any of my IBM's

This is a security measure taken specifically for laptops.

If you get all the mdl info, ser# etc, you can contact HP/Compaq for the workaround.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Security? Hmmm... who are they trying to protect?

Thanks for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back