Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to enable port mirroring in switch 3550??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
US
I have a surfcontrol software that filter website traffic. I need to enable port mirroring on the switch port that connects to the internet and the filtering server.
I tried
monitor session 1 source and monitor session 1 destination commands but they dont work. As soon as I put monitor session 1 destination command on the switch port, the filtering server cannot transmit traffic anymore.
If you know how to enable port mirroring, please help. Thank you very much.

Thanks. But is there anyway to do what port mirroring for web filtering traffic purpose in cisco switch?

I have a 2950 with surf control working fine. Should be similiar to your switch setup. Here is my config:

monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/1 ingress vlan 1
Port 1 surf control server
Port 2 lan to router uplink port
Without the ingress command it will not work. You will however not be able to ping the switch from the server and vice versa but that has not been a problem for me as everything else functions correctly.

I have a 2960 with 12.2(25)FX that I am trying to get working with Surfcontrol 5.

I see your monitor commands and understand them.

Have you tried to figure out why you cannot ping the switch? Does that mean you cannot access it from a browser from the server?
Thanks,
Jack

From the server:
Cannot ping, telnet to, our use web browser to connect to switch. Full web access and access to all other network resources OK.
From the switch:
Cannot ping server. Full access to all other network resources OK.

I am sure it is due to the port mirroring that is going on but this was the only way I was able to make surfcontrol function properly.

Do you have an old hub laying around where you can actually test to make sure the surfcontrol IS working properly? All you need to do is plug the device and the internet connection into the hub, and then plug it into the switch port. This is the 'oldschool' way of setting up mirroring on a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back