Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enable JIT Debugging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

ISP
Jul 22, 2004
GB
XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

I received the following instruction after an unhandled exception after loading skype mp3 recorder

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Can you please break the instruction down into a simple step-by-step approach for the absolute newbie which shows precisely which bit of the code is entered at which precise point within machine.config?

a) for instance the <configuration></configuration> tags already exist, so does this mean is is only <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> that needs to be entered?
b) if so where and how ... for instance system.windows.forms is entered as a "section name" within the <configSections></configSections> tags?
c) this is how system.windows.forms is entered as a section name within the <configSections></configSections> tags:

<section name="system.windows.forms" type="System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSection, System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" />

... is this where I enter <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> and, if so, could you please kindly re-write the system.windows.forms section (above) so I can see exactly how it is done (as I do not know the protocols i.e. whether to divide by commas or not ... or in what sequence to enter the additional code etc etc)?

This should also help a number of other newbies like me who haven't known where to begin in order to enable jit debugging; when the key fundamental steps are assumed known and then missing as a result. Many thanks.

Seasons Greetings,

Best wishes,
Eponymous

This is a forum for developers/programmers who use Microsoft's Visual Basic .NET programming language. The program referenced is the link is Visual Studio .NET.

If you don't know what any of that is, then you are in the wrong place to be asking your question. Enabling JIT Debugging is for someone who has the proper development tools to debug the program.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

As the OP has been informed in the other forum that they posted this ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back