Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to enable deleted files to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacoTechnology

Technical User
Sep 26, 2007
AU
Hi
I currently have a folder on my small business 2oo3 server which is shared over the network and when uses access the files from this folder and delete them they aren't sent to the recycle bin. Is their a way to enable it so that these files are sent to the recycling bin or another folder?

That's what Shadow Copy is for.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Have the users (and yourself) install the Shadow Copy client from the \\server\clientapps share. Get properties on the root of C: or D: or whatever your data drive is and enable Shadow Copies. Then, once it's started taking snapshots, from a client you can get properties on a folder or share on the server and choose the Previous Versions tab.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Yes the previous verion tab is working but can't I arrange for deleted files from the server it be sent to the recycle bin?

Is there a way I can change this.

I have found when I delete certain files on the server some are sent to the recycle bin while others just disappear.

Nope. The way it works is that if you are logged onto the server locally, files you delete go into the recycle bin. If you are connected to a share over the network, files you delete are deleted and are not put in a recycle bin. The is no alternative configuration.

Shadow Copy was created to remedy the problematic aspects of that situation.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Just read through the article and I understand on how to restore a file but don't understand if you delete the file altogether how it is possible to right click on it and then restore a previous version?

Try using the Previous Versions tab, and choose the View option. You are able to view a replica of what the folder used to look like before the deletion. You can click on a file in that replica folder and choose to restore it. What I usually do is just copy it and paste it back into the live folder.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back