Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to embed images in a Web Control Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

koraykazgan

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
DE
Hi there,

I am programming a Web Control Library in C#. I have included my images for my custom button control in the project, and wrote the html code to render the control. But when I compile the project to a DLL I have to copy the used images into a folder, to be able to use it.

I figured out, that I can set the build action property of the images to Embedded Resource. So, my question is where are the images? And how can I use the images in the compiled resource in my html code?

Thanks for your help,
bye...

Take a look at the Assembly.GetManifestResourceStream() method. You'll need to pass the full name to the resource.

Chip H.

ASP.NET provides two types of custom controls.
One is "user control" which in fact of functionality falls somewhere between a server control and an include file.
A user control has its own process space but is compiled on demand just like any ASP.NET page.
In other words, the control is a text file rather than a compiled DLL.
The 2nd type is a "custom server control" and I think you are talking about it.
An ASP.NET custom server control is precompiled and lives in a DLL on the server. It has properties and methods and almost always renders HTML, but it could perform some behind-the-scenes, nonvisual actions.
The embeeded images in the control are part of the control (DLL) and you can access them at run time when you need.
You show that image on a page in the overloaded Render() method of the control, for example.
First of all, retrieve the image from the control, save it in a file and render it using the HTML tags:
Code:
public override Render( ref output System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter)
{
	// save image1 on "image1.bmp"
	Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("myassembly.image1.bmp"));
	bmp.Save("myimage1.bmp"); // or with different format
	output.RenderBeginTag(HtmlTextWriterTag.Img);
	output.AddAttribute(HtmlTextAttribute.src,"myimage1.bmp");

}
obislavu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back