Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Eliminate Second Logn Dialog in Win98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcracco

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2002
US
We have a Windows 2000 Server and life is good. However, I find myself having to do a whole lot of explaining to users as to why there are two login dialogs for Windows when a Windows 98 client is started. First dialog logs onto server just fine then the second dialog pops up. (this is the one that looks at the local *.pwl file) Escaping past this second dialog is fine, but it it confusing to the users.

I have found where I can make a registry hack to set DisablePwdCaching on the local machine but that is a lot of registry edits.

Is there a way to edit the Group Policy to eliminate the second logon prompt? Thanks.

What kind of Client are they using (WIn98). Are the using Microsoft Network logon? Did you configure the Client for MIc NEtworks?
If you have the registry hack to do it, then make a script to run it when the user logs in to the network

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

If you delete the .pwl files and leave the password blank the next time it will not prompt you again.

Create a group policy (Using poledit on the w98 cd) and under one of the fields is an option to disable caching of network passwords; enable (or disable, I forget which way it goes) and then you need to enable support for Group policies in Windows 98.

Thats the part I am stuck with at the moment; (I come from a w2k environment) we have a lot of w9x pc's and I can't remember how to enable group policy support on those so that they inherit the config.pol share from the netlogon share - I found a good page on enabling it through a registry hack which I was going to import in the login script which would then get them to start working off the group olicy.

Thanks for the responses.

Koquito; A script might work but since I have never written one that may be more of an adventure than I am up to right now.

Philandro; Problem with deleting the .pwl's is everytime a different user logs in the dialog pops up again. It wil help temporarily, but I'm hoping for a permanent fix.

Terrywilson; Bingo! I dug out the Win98 Resource book and Chapter 8 had all the gory details on using Group Policies. I eliminated the second login box, cleared the last users username, and even generated an informational dialog the pops up before the domain login to describe how to enter credentials. Very useful and powerful tool for controling the desktops.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back