Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to dump an incoming phone call to voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenherder

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2003
CA
Hello,

When I am at my desk and a call is being presented to my extension, how can I send it to voicemail instead of just letting it ring then go to VM? I do not want my phone on DND. I find on Fridays I get hammered with sales calls from people working from home and I want to be able to just send it to voicemail like pressing the hangup button on your cell phone does when you are screening calls.

THanks in advance!

Matt

BTW BCM400 system over here

I think there is a miscommunication here.

Picture this, I am at my desk busy working on a project. My phone rings, I look over and see from caller ID it is my wife calling. I do not want to talk to her. I also do not want my phone to ring the other 6 times before VM picks up. How do I stop my phone from ringing her inbound call. I assumed there must be a way to press a button or something to put it to voicemail.

I am not looking to transfer a live call I am on to another persons voicemail.

I hope that clears up my question.

Thanks
Matt

I guess I should tell you about call screening but most don't use it since its obvious if you except the call or not.

Activating the Call Screening feature
When you change a mailbox owner’s Personal Mailbox Transfers (Xfers) option to
Screened, the Call Screening feature allows the mailbox owner to determine who is
calling before accepting the call. Call Screening is useful when there is no Caller ID
available. Norstar Voice Mail records the caller’s name, calls the mailbox owner’s
telephone, announces the name of the caller and offers various options such as
accept the call or take a message.
Call Screening applies to external calls dialed by callers using the DN dialing
facilities of the Auto Attendant or Custom Call Routing (CCR). It does not apply to
internal calls, or external calls routed using a CCR transfer point or placed to the
mailbox owner’s dedicated line. If the caller is calling from a line for which the
mailbox owner has recorded a Personalized Greeting, Call Screening is bypassed
and the call is transfered without delay.
When the Xfers option is on Screened, Norstar Voice Mail still calls a mailbox
owner’s telephone that is call forwarded.
The default for Call Screening is Blind, which means that mailbox owners will not
be able to determine who is calling before answering

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

F984 did not do anything.

Norstarboy125, although not exactly what I wanted I did create a DND button on my phone. When it rings I can dump to VM by pressing it. I just have to press it again to allow calls. I think that it is an acceptable work around. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt

DND just stops the ringing/audio it still will ring for the caller untill it forwards to VM on the same number of rings.

Another idea is create a caller id table that way whenever your wife or any other bs numbers you want to dump into your v-mail box, a greeting table, or even another ext. it will right away.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back