Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to download the driver for the modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhag

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US
I have a compaq presario CDS 633 system, with windows 95 operating system. I want to sign up for dial-up-internet connection. I have a modem card already installed and one of my friend told me that I have problem with modem driver. He asked me download the driver for it.

I want to download the device driver for the modem. I did check in the compaq website and I could find only these options when I entered the necessary system details:
Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
Management and System Software
ROMPaqs/BIOS and Firmware
Software Solutions
I don't know which one to choose from the above options. I want know if I am in the right path. or what I am supposed to do next please.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

You need to go to the site of the manufacturer of the modem. What kind of modem is it? And why can't you use whatever drivers Windows is associating with the modem? Jennifer Sigman
Code-borrower extraordinaire
"They call us public servants for a reason..."

In the device manager under modems I got this information: Sportster 14.4 FAX INT
Standard 300bps Modem
Standard 2400 bps Modem
Standard Modem

I am not sure what the above information means. I also have one more question, How would I know if the modem is working or not without having the internet connection. It is a old system given to me by someone. Thanks for all the suggestions.
bhag

You'll probably need to ask whoever gave you this system is they remember what kind of modem it is. A Standard Modem driver should work on something that old. And the best way to test it is to go into the dial-up connection and just type in a junk number, and see if it the modem tries to dial it. Jennifer Sigman

Thanks for your suggestion Jennifer. Finally, I did install the driver which was already there in the windows.
Bhag

Glad that worked for you. :) Jennifer Sigman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back