Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to download an APAR, apar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
US
I'm trying to download an apar IY64389, first of all befor i download it i want to know what it does how it affects my system 7026-B80. I'm not sure what the difference is between an apar and microcode or if there is one, in desperate need of help :)

I guess you have AIX 5.1.
You can get the FIX for APAR IY64389 from:
The other usefull sites:

APAR - An APAR (Authorized Program Analysis Report) is a term used in IBM for a description of a problem with an IBM program that is formally tracked until a solution is provided. An APAR is created or 'opened' after a customer (or sometimes IBM itself) discovers a problem that IBM determines is due to a bug in its code/ documents via a PMR. The APAR is given a unique number for tracking and a target date for solution. When the support group that maintains the code solves the problem, it develops a Program Temporary Fix (PTF) that, when applied, will
solve the problem for the customers that may be affected. The PTF will 'close' the APAR.

PTF - Program Temporary Fix (see above); 'Patch' is the Tivoli term for it but it's moving into PTF now and for example what Tivoli calls 371-TMF-FP03 is actually PTF U484305

e-fix - Emergency fix; if you cannot possibly wait for a PTP/Patch to be released you can get an e-fix

CMVC - Configuration Management and Version Control (came from here I think). The full definition goes like this:

CMVC integrates four facets of the software development process in a distributed development environment to facilitate project-wide coordination of development activities across all phases of the product development life cycle:
Configuration Management - the process of identifying, managing and controlling software modules as they change over time.

Version Control - the storage of multiple versions of a single file along with information about each version.

Change Control - centralizes the storage of files and controls changes to files through the process of checking files in and out.

Problem Tracking - the process of effectively tracking all reported defects and proposed design changes through to their resolution and implementation.
A CMVC defect is opened corresponding to each APAR and additionally for internally discovered problems. CMVC is used both to track these defects and to track the code changes used to fix the defects.

PMR - Is a Problem Management Record and is how calls are logged with IBM. If you have a problem (ITIL people would like to call those issues, as they may really not be problems) and you call IBM (this includes other IBM companies like Tivoli or Lotus), you get a PMR number (maybe it should be IMR), i.e. and an issue record is opened.

If Support confirms that this is not a 'How-To' question but a real bug in the code, they would open an APAR and will subscribe your PMR to that APAR. If development finds a bug during the internal test cycles they log it into the CMVC system and track it internally. When you get a PTF/Patch you will see which APARs and CMVCs are fixed.

Enhancement Request - not sure if anyone abbreviates it but you can request one if you think you have a problem, call IBM, they open a PMR, this PMR may result in an APAR (reproduced; it doesn't work that way, so probably a bug) but development confirms that it works as designed at that code level and they don't have any plans to change/enhance it in the next release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back