Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to do Software upgrades and auditing with SMS? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfej

MIS
Mar 13, 2001
US
Help! I am a total newbie to SMS and have just been asked to get it to do things I know nothing about! I haven't even got a book on the subject and have no idea where to begin. The good news is that I seem to have successfully installed SMS 2.0 on our win2k server and we have a very specific (and very limited) need for its capability.

It is installed, but it appears to be pretty complicated. I want to do only two things with it at this point. I need to be able to push software upgrades of our own business created applications to client computers and I need also to be able to perform software auditing for the purpose of checking that the correct software is present on a client machine.

Any help would be vastly appreciated! I am sure that there are different ways of accomplishing this, but I would appreciate only the most basic and simple manner in which to accomplish this as a place to begin.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a few "must have" references to get you going. Watch for URL wrapping in the text.

1. SMS Administrator's Companion:
2. Start to Finish Guide to SMS Software Delivery:
3. Microsoft SMS Installer book: Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back