Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to do a complete system restore to factory mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2007
US
I have an acer aspire laptop OS Vista and every since I got it some of the programs have quite working and I want to do a total system restore to factory mode I can't find it. One thing that has quite working is myy network like when I'm at my friends house and I want to link into her wireless I cna't when I click onto connect to it's stays on the hour glass and never opens the box..Help

I assume that you didn't get a recovery disk? Here is a link to a .pdf file on how to start the eRecovery feature of Acer. Most new computers have a recovery partition, I assume yours probably will if you didn't receive a recovery disk with it.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I tried the link and it didn't work just keeps restarting the same way and no recovery disk just an upgrade for vista disk... Please help everything is locking up my computer is only 6 months old I should not be having this problems so soon :-(

Before you start the recovery process, you do realise that any documents or photos you have will be wiped off... So, first thing is to get the hard disk out of the machine and get anything important copied off it. However, it sounds like there might be a problem with the hard disk itself, so download and run the disk diagnostics software from the hard drive manufacturer.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You will need to get in touch with acer or the company you bought it from. You can ask them for the recovery disk, or they can rebuild your computer for you. They should rebuild it for free as it is still in warranty.

Can you describe the problems you are having so that we can try to resolve the actual cause? Can you include a description of what activities you where performing just before it started happening (on the net, installing software, new printer...)?

Actually I want to say it started after I installed the first update... you know when the little bobbles comes up the task bar about 2 months ago I started having problems this is my personal computer so my children or husband are not allow to use it so I know no limewire or anything to that nature has not been used because I know you can get virus really easy using those sites but anyway... I have emailed Acer to see what I can do since it's still under warranty... but the only thing I can think of is when I updated it and download the newer verserion of adobe 8.

Thanks you guys

Every computer you buy from a vendor always have a recovery CD or DVDs. If you have warranty and can't do it yourself bring it to the shop where you got it. Otherwise if you have the recovery CD or DVD then it shouldn't be so hard to reset to factory defaults from the Factory itself.

Boot from the CD or DVD follow the on screen setup, this should be a no brainier.

Also if you CD or DVD Rom drive is not set to boot from that drive, you'll need to go to BIOS to set it to boot the CD/DVD drive first or hit maybe F12? to get the boot sequence....something like that....

peace

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCENT+CCNA)

I have seen a lot of posts where this type of restore does not work. Be careful what you delete on your hard drive because some companies put the OS files on the Hard Drive.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

As I do for precaution, I have a NAS or possible a second drive for all my files and backups that way, when in need to redo the computer from the vendor restoration CD or DVD, I just pop it in, easy...or I get my real license key from MS to do a fresh install, usually Vendor CD or DVDs are loaded with garbage at times while not all.

R. Corrigan Jr.
Network+, (working on CCENT+CCNA)

Thanks guy for all the comments I called to Acer Guys and he talked me through the recovery it worked fine and I restored my system yall said all the right things I needed to shut the computer completely down and then press the Alt and F10 right when I started it back up I was only restarting it and pressing the buttons they said that made a difference but it's done and everything worked out great so thanks for the help until next time thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back