Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to distribute secured database...URGENT!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buee04

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi,

There's probably an old thread about this but I can't find it anywhere or in any FAQs. Sorry for reposting if so, but I must finish this in an hour!

I have secured my database, it's not split and there's no .mde. But I want to distribute both Access 97 and Access 2000 versions and I'm not quite sure how. Do I send as a zip the .mdb and the .mdw? But then how is that linked together?

PLEASE HELP!!!

I think that if you send the zipped .mdb and the .mdw then all you would have to do is also send a desktop shortcut. Create a desktop shortcut then in properties put:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE&quot; <Path to .mdb file - enclosed in quotes if any spaces> /wrkgrp <path to .mdw - enclosed in quotes if any spaces>

Ex. &quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE&quot; &quot;C:\My Folder\My SubFolder\MyDatabase.mdb&quot; /wrkgrp &quot;C:\My Folder\My SubFolder\MyWorkgroup.mdw&quot;

This assumes that the operating systems are the same and that all the file locations will be the same. I beleive that the .mdw file will work with 2K or 97 .mdb files. Never had to use that one though so don't hold me to it.

I hope this helps!!

Lee

Hmm, that's what I thought but I guess actually reading it helps me get a clearer picture amidst my state of panic. Thank you Lee!

buee04:

I posted this under forms to a security question asked there but will repost here for you. It really deals with a split and secured db but I think that you will get some ideas as to an alternate distribution method. If you are all on a common server this self copy will be much nicer when it comes to updating things.

A nice feature for a distributed db is to create a batch file that not only contains the command line arguements for the database and security file but to also copy the frontend to the users local drive every time they start the database. As Admin for the database you won't use the shortcut (you will have a shortcut that is just the command lines to start your database with the appropriate security file) because as you make changes to it on your machine you might forget and run the shortcut before uploading the new front end to the network and you would overwrite your changes with the previous front end version. If you do it this way you can make changes, try them out, then upload them. When the user runs the batch file they will always get the latest revision. You can even put in a make directory command so that the front end is put in a special directory all on it's own. Don't forget to remove all permissions from the User group as it is common to every security (*.mdw) file and anyone using any security file could access your database.

Remember that whenever you change security settings to copy the front end to the server as it, as well as secure.mdw file, contains security information. The secured.mdw fileonly contains user names while the front end contains the form, table, query, ect. security.

Are you aware that the current architecture of your application will make updating very difficult since your updated version will automatically delete all your customer's data?

Be sure to read the runtime and security related articles in the ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA (Concerning the deployment of your application you should use a professional installer like Sagekey or MDT2000 ( and you will need the runtime for those clients who do not have ACCESS installed on their computers.
Furthermore, I do not think that it is a good idea to maintain both A97 and A2K version of your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back