Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to dispose of a DDS4 tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

williaday

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
Hi--

One of my users saved (by mistake) a VERY sensitive document on the network that was backed up on the DDS4 tape. I now have to permanently destroy the tape. I was wandering how others do this? Is there a device or some software? Or just good 'ole fashion burning? :)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
williaday

Why don't you simple erase the tape, reformat or whatever.
There are several way to erase a tape.
This is a no brainer!

The reason SOME bosses want the tape destroyed is to CYA.. Tell them that it was destroyed. I believe dropping it off a tall building onto their heads will get their attention. Actually formating it is the easy way. Then write zeros to it or when a full backup is done, it will write over the tape.

Chris

Belated answer:
the safest way to dispose of any media (tape, CD, or even hard drive) is to shred it!
Most companies that spacialize in shredding paper documents will also offer the shredding of magnetic media.
They can also provide with documented proof for audit purpose(Certificate of Destruction), that a particular item was indeed securely destroyed.
Formatting magnetic media in order to void confidential data is no longer sufficient.
Consider all the data recovery technologies available (for a price, of course!), that will recover data lost, or obliterated under the most impossible conditions.
Off the top of my head, comes to mind (I'm not affiliated with them!), an Irvin, CA company specializing in data recovery. They actually allow you to download for free their software that will read erased, formatted, damaged media to see how much of it can be recovered. If you're satisfied with the results, and pay whatever their charges are they will unlock the software to allow for the actual recovery, and reconstruction of the data.
Have piece of mind, and shred!

Regards,
Steve

Do a search on DEGAUSSING. It is a cheap and effective way to destroy data on a tape or drive depending on the type of degausser you buy. Some will erase data to NATO standards.

Hope this helps you find an answer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back