Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to display border around a NULL field? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjh

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
US
Hi, I have a report that I want to use for two purposes: a blank form report that user prints out to hand-enter the data and another report that retrieves the values from the database. I have a parameter IsForm. If {?IsForm}="Y", then I set the Suppress property of database fields to True and display a bottom border.

This is working out so far, except that when there are NULL values in the database fields, the bottom border is not displayed.

Is there a way to get around this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

You can't display a border on a field that isn't there. You can convert the field so that it is not null and not empty:

if isnull({table.field}) then
" " else
{table.field}

Then you could format this with a bottom border. But when you suppress it, the border will be suppressed also. Or did you add the "border" some other way? Do you have this part of it working?

-LB

D'oh... you're right. The border is not displayed when the field is suppressed. What's the best way to handle this? Should I add text fields with borders and put them on top of the database fields, and suppress one or the other accordingly? I guess another way is to have two versions of the report. I appreciate your advice.

And where do I add your "if isnull({table.field}) then" formula? Should I create a new formula field?

Thanks a lot!

I have a similar report that has boxes around the text. If there isn't any data populated, the boxes don't show my my finished report leaving a lot of white space. I just used the Insert Box and layered on top of my field. My finished report looks okay.

Hope this helps.

You could use insert->line and draw a line in detail_a (per field). Then in detail_b you could place your actual field without using a formula. Then conditionally suppress each section based on the value of the parameter.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back