Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disconnect telnet session programatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

almostGood

Technical User
Aug 28, 2017
US
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you disconnect a Telnet session cleanly once you are done?

I know how to establish one- connectmanual telnet portnumber.

But in my scripts I call several procedures (subroutines) and sometimes to be safe I rerun the above command at the beginning of it (because in a previous routine I may have switched to another telnet session). But if it happens that I was already connected to that telnet port I get a rude Busy! and it disconnects me.

The only way I have found to workaround this is to first run a telnet session to some unused port, then I have to wait at least 3 seconds (for the original telnet session to close) then I can reconnect to my original telnet session. Is there some faster way I can do this programmatically to release the telnet session without waiting 3 seconds?

I've tried hangup and disconnect immediately before running the manualconnect but those don't work, at least not without any delay added.

Hangup should work, but you will need to wait a few seconds for the connection to clear. Also, I usually logout of the remote host, then issue a hangup command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back