Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable the start menu of Windows using VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGR707

Programmer
Jul 7, 2002
PH
Hi,

Does anybody help me, I really need to know how to disable the start menu on windows using visual foxpro. Thanks.

CGR707

I believe <some> OSs have a kiosk mode. You'll need to be clearer what OSs you are working with and what your ultimate goal is.

Brian

Hello CGR707.

>> Does anybody help me, I really need to know how to disable the start menu on windows using visual foxpro. <<

First of all, I would like to know why you need to be messing around with your end user's environment? Maybe there is a better way to do whast you need to do.

Personally, if I ever installed an app on my machine that disabled my start menu, changed my preferences, or otherwise messed with my environment, the next thing I would do would be to un-install it.

The way I look at it, the software that I install is a guest on my computer and it should behave in a courteous manner < s >.

Marcia G. Akins

Personally, if I ever installed an app on my machine that disabled my start menu, changed my preferences, or otherwise messed with my environment, the next thing I would do would be to un-install it.

Marcia,

My guess is that CGR707 is building some sort of kiosk or POS app that is not intended to run side-by-side with other Windows apps.

I've had the need before where a machine is dedicated to my app and my app only (such as a touch screen kiosk) and the last thing you want users to do is go fiddling in Windows. Disabling the Start Menu would be a great way to cut down on this risk.

Andy

Also, with the outrageous onslaught of trojans and viruses, one almost needs to stay connected to the internet to keep the OS and virus scan updated automatically.
But there are instances where an end user should not have access to the internet or even intranet and should only be allowed to run a predefined set of apps on a company owned computer.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back