Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to disable the browser "Refresh" button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckleow

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
MY
Dear all,

How do I prevent users from refreshing my web page? I do not want the users to use the refresh button or F5 to refresh my applets because my applets can already auto refresh. Please help me fast, thanks a lot in advance!

brgds,
ck

go to your user's and cut their hands off !!
there's no way to disable it, especially NOT in javascript !!
(actually, you can either use some kind of a custom ie by modifying CLIENT reg's key with vc++; or open a sub window without the bar, but still the right click can be used ... you can disable the right click, but still, ... and so on )
but as a user, if you'd use any of those solutions, i mean, if you try to force ME to use the web YOUR way, i won't come anymore to your site ... and i'm not the only one ...
please check for "how to disable view source" issues in this forum, all these (that you can ... but that there is ALWAYS a workaround, and that anyway it's useless as you're supposed to design for USERS and not for you/your boss) are quite well explained

Hi Iza,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I do agree with you that disabling the standard browser refresh button is definitely not user friendly. But for some reason, our management wanted it that way, don't really know why though. Anyway, they have dropped the idea after we could not come up with a solution! Hehe...Thanks again!

Brgds,
ckleow

you're lucky they've given up !! coz anyway, any solution you could have found (btw i totally forgot the most obvious one : capture the "onload" event) would have had its workaround, and might have confuse some users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back